Thursday, October 05, 2006

Reverse Spider Culture Shock!

Well, after my arachnid-related post a couple of weeks ago I thought it fitting to let you all know that I am now the designated spider guru in my new house. My housemate Claire just said to me "I, er, don't suppose you're any good with spiders...?" and I was thus given the responsibility of getting rid of the one lurking just beside her bedroom door. I did it no worries. I can be tough when I want to :)

It's funny - Australia really does have a reputation for nasties! Donal (another housemate) was telling me that he was talking to someone recently and mentioned crocodiles, only to see that person become quite upset because their son or daughter had been devoured by one in Australia! Donal also told me that he's recently seen a show called something like '183 things that'll kill you in Australia'! good heavens! You can also participate in a kooky quizz of the same name... http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Geography/Things-Thatll-Kill-You-in-Australia-195533.html

Try it out! I got 8 out of 10. Yikes.

And I suppose the recent - incredibly globally recognised - passing of good old Steve Irwin does nothing to help this image.

It's quite extraordinary and makes me wonder how Australia has a tourism industry at all!

Must be pretty good to outweigh all that stuff :)

J x

No comments: