Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Am I Normal...?


Whooookay. I just had an interesting experience! Rode a bike for the first time in 10 - 15 years. Yikes! I've purchased a rickety old bike (I didn't know quite HOW old or rickety...!) from a strange little bloke called Paddy, and today my bike and I were introduced for the first time. At first sight, I was beguiled by its cute blue frame and endearing skinny wheels, its rams-horn shaped handle bars held together with green electrical tape, and its antiquarian braking system. Then I tried to ride the little sucker! The gears are weird, my ass hurt within about 50 metres, and let's just say I'm not used to riding up hills.

Aaah but I really must tell you what Jessie-On-A-Bike looks like, for it is quite a spectacle. Up top we have a dashing pink, black and white zebra striped helmet which sits waaay too high on my head. Down low, we have the right pant-cuff tied securely around my leg with a shoelace so as to prevent it getting caught in the chain. HOT and ATHLETIC would be two words that should spring to mind. Unfortunately, though, the words that sprang to the mind (and lips) of my classmate Kelly were "off to the Special Olympics, are we??" Gold! I would have taken a photo, but I don't think my pride could have handled it. Maybe tomorrow :)

So, the "am I normal" title of this post owes its existence to my question to all of you cyclists out there: is it normal to be nervous (AKA borderline terrified) the first time one rides a bike in traffic? It was fine, I was safe, it's only a short distance, there are bikelanes all the way, and I know I'll get used to it, and I guess I can expect to feel a little underconfident at this stage. But by the time I was halfway home my heart was beating like mad, and I couldn't tell if it was adrenalin, or just the fact that I was trying to go up a hill in first gear! Anyway, I hope it will get easier and less scary soon. And I think I won't ride every day - just days that I know I'll be at uni until late.

School is getting quite full-on. Heaps of assessments due, and 4 out of 5 are group work, which is unusual, and not something I'm used to, as a law student. What happened to 'every potential articled clerk for himself'?! Thankfully that law school mentality is a thing of the distant past in this course. I had had a few nasty things going at home, and was a sorry little muffin for a fair chunk of the weekend. But on Saturday night, (the crapness pinnacle of the whole weekend) I *wanted* to go out and see my classmates, which I considered quite an indication of how great they are. Not only that, but they surpassed my expectations by being understanding and supportive and altogether lovely. They didn't even mind when I fell asleep on the couch. In fact, they even put a blanket on me! If you fell asleep on a couch at a law party you could expect to be woken up by people sitting on your head making out, or projectile vomiting, or by a loud, violent, shrill catfight (*all* things I have witnessed at Law students' parties... the latter two in the same night! Rool elegant...).

I was having a conversation with a girl in the cafeteria today, and we got around to discussing what is the difference. Why is this group of people so caring, nurturing, concerned with each other's wellbeing, and ready to look after one another? It took us about 2 seconds to realise it may be because they are all the kind of people who want to go and spend 18 months studying humanitarian assistance! There is such a richness and depth of compassion and concern in this group of people that it makes them all a pleasure to be around. To spend time in an environment with 20 people of 17 different nationalities (yes! that's right! unbelievable!) who are all bound by common goals and principles (otherwise known as brainless idealism and pie-in-the-sky do-gooder-ness!) is a privilege. When I should have felt far from home, lonely and homesick, I felt loved, looked after and cared about. To say that the people in my class restore my faith in humanity may be overstating the case (cue violins...!), but they certainly bolster my optimism in some way. I'm sad to be leaving them in February :(

Anyway I think that's it from me for now. I'm off to sizzle me up a chicken kiev and watch Commander in Chief (has it started in Australia yet?? I like it. Geena Davis for President!).

There you go, I finally blogged :)

JT x

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Re the bike - yes, it's normal. :)

Re caring environment - that's really, really cool.

It's interesting that you've found that, 'cos that supportiveness was one of the things that drew me into the area. I've also found that it's a really "Christian friendly" field - mainly 'cos even as an academic, you're constantly confronted with the practical realities of Christian agencies doing good stuff on the ground. It's also a field that's always had a lot of involvement from radical Christian activists - ie Gilbert F White was a Quaker. :)

So - maybe you belong in more ways than one!!

Keep ridin' that bike. ;)

Rebecca said...

oh...I just have to add funny story about my ex-housemate, who was Belgian.

He thought riding in Australia was "really cool" because it was so "scary and exciting"...he liked the fact that there were very few bike paths and he therefore had to battle the trucks, cars etc in peak hour traffic. I couldn't help but wonder whether he'd still think it was "cool" after he'd been hit a couple of times...enjoy the bike paths while you can!!

Kate said...

Oh Jess, sorry little muffin, I'm glad you're being nurtured...

I ride everywhere and feel confident most of the time, yet this morning I was one cyclist away from being hit by a driver who didn't deem it necessary to look before he turned (the rider in front of me got his bike mangled but thankfully was ok)...so confidence doesn't necessarily equal safety! Hmm...maybe that wasn't helpful. Do assume drivers are bike-blind, many are.

Enjoying reading you x

Rebecca said...

oooh kate, it's nasty but I can't help but feel glad that driver didn't collect you...us little people don't stand up well to cars!!

Rebecca said...

yo jess...tell us more about your course!