Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I Love Irish Taxi Drivers


You can see by my woolly paraphernalia (shown here in photo) that it's getting right chilly in Ireland. Where as 2 weeks ago I would usually leave my jacket at home, nowdays I don't go *anywhere* without coat, hat, gloves and scarf. Yes yes, it's getting cold.

Now, if there is a sure thing in Ireland, it is that every time you get into a taxi, you'll be greeted by a driver with a character worthy of its own comic strip. I have been told the following things by Dublin taxi drivers (and I will do my best not to exaggerate at all. I hardly *need* to!):

- "The weather is remarkably cold for this time of year"
- "The weather is remarkably warm for this time of year"
- "The weather is completely normal for this time of year"
- "I was in Geelong (Australia) last week competing in a backgammon tournament"
- "Dere're far too many foreigners in Dooblin. All dese overseas students.... oh no I'm not talkin' about YE! I'm just talkin' 'bout de muslims. Dese muslims are ruining the world. I'm not being racist, I'm just saying..."
- "I've always wanted te go te Australia but I saw a fillum about all de tings dere dat can kill ye. Oh the poor wee Crocodile Hunter..."
- "Just ye make sure ye stay faithful to yer lad back in Australia"
AND my favourite all-time too-much-information quote from a taxi driver...
- "In the poob, ye can really tell the difference 'tween a lass who knows how te pull a point o' Guinness, and a lass who don't. And I'll tell ye where ye really tell the difference 'tween the two: in the jacks (toilet) the next mornin'. I'm sorry for givin' ye sooch a graphic picture but it's the sure way te tell. Oooohh Christ, ain't that the truth!"

Hehe i love these guys. Never a dull moment. I have had countless discussions about weather, politics, religion, the crowdedness of shopping centres, and although they seem like dull topics I usually get out of the cab shaking my head and chuckling to myself. I think the next time I have a particularly good encounter I'll take a photo. It'll last longer :)

J x

2 comments:

Kate said...

Thanks, that made me laff!

Roy, Dublin Taxi Driver said...

we love you too babe