Friday, September 22, 2006

Spider-Induced Culture Shock

OK so I didn't go to uni today. Woke up feeling, well, let's just say BAD. Spent 97% of the day in bed, except this evening I ventured downstairs to eat something and watch an angsty Gwyneth Paltrow film (Proof - i quite liked it, actually!). Then i decided it was time to retire. So I came upstairs and, as is my habit, proceeded to get ready to have a shower. I carried my towel (a luxuriously big lilac bathsheet) into the bathroom, put it down on the bench and put some toothpaste on my toothbrush. It was then that I saw 8 big hairy legs crawling out of the folds of my bathtowel! Ladies and Gentlemen, we had a BIGGUN' on our hands (it wasn't the biggest I've seen, but big enough not to be friends with). I don't know anything about Irish spiders so i scuttled downstairs and hoarsed (did I mention I lost my voice about 4 days ago??) "umm there's a spider in the bathroom, do you have any spray stuff?". Janet shuddered and said "Ciaran (her husband) will take care of it for you", and Ciaran looked wounded and said "surely you don't want to kill the little feller, do ye?". Anyway he came upstairs, we located the culprit and CIARAN PROCEEDED TO OPEN THE WINDOW, PICK UP THE SPIDER IN HIS BARE HANDS (all the while calling it "wee feller" and other such Irish endearments) AND GENTLY PLACE HIM OUTSIDE THE WINDOW. at this juncture i was squeaking (best I can do with my current vocal situation) and jumping up and down calling him a "crazy eejit" (and other such Irish insults)!

Well it turns out that he didn't die. After the kerfuffly (mainly from me) died down, I asked him what sort of spider it was. Perhaps i thought that some quasi-scientific inquiry would make me look like less of a total ditz. anyway, Ciaran calmly explained to me that there are no poisonous anythings in Ireland - snakes, spiders, nothin'. I'm sure my eyes widened in amazement. I sheepishly explained that I come from funnel-web land, and he laughed, said he knew and casually went back downstairs to keep watching the tv.

Chuh. Kind of embarrassing conduct from a girl who used to want to be an arachnologist...! I was something of a strange child...

Later!

Jess

No comments: