Thursday, September 21, 2006

OK I'm Sick. It's Official.


Waaaheeeeeyyy.... I have some kind of European Death Lurgy of Hell and Death (known to authorities as EDLHD). I've been ignoring it for a few days, but nay, the time has come to realise that I'm sick to the point of being quite unpresentable. Yikes.

Anyway, I am aware that I haven't written much since I arrived in Dublin, so I shall take advantage of my infirmity to remedy that.

Well, sometimes I feel like I'm at Monash Clayton (windy campus, big concrete buildings, long lectures, bad campus food), and sometimes I feel like I'm on another planet (THREE TIMES I asked for soy milk in my coffee on campus, got laughed at and told to go to starbucks!). A strange combination.

I've been having a great time staying with my aunt's friends. They are a family of husband and wife, three sons and another male cousin (all between the ages of 15 and 21), 2 dogs and two cats. From time to time, Janet goes out for the evening and leaves me alone with FIVE BOYS!!! Haha I tell you what - those dinnertime conversations are an eye-opener....! The house here is lovely and I'm being so well looked-after. All I have to do is walk to dogs, but in my current state it's really not been possible too often. I hope I get better soon so I can be less useless and walk the dogs more often.

Classes have started with a vengeance! So far we've had management, epidemiology and geopolitics. tomorrow is anthropology. We'll be doing international law in a big solid block in January.

I've been invited to a fantastic lunch tomorrow at James Joyce House here in Dublin. Brendan Kilty, a friend / associate of Julian Burnside, owns James Joyce House, and we were put in touch by JB before I left Australia. It sounds like an interesting event! The Tom Crean society is having a lunch, with a whole lot of the descendents of the Shackleton expedition!! (If you don't know what I'm talking about, Google it. That's what I did...!). Unfortunately my state of health really doesn't render me fit for polite society, so I've had to decline the invitation. Very sad :(

ok i think it's time for dinner and i'm talking tripe, anyway. so i better go.

i promise to post again soon!

:) Jess xx

No comments: