Saturday, March 04, 2006

London is more funner than i remembered...


hello to all and sundry. i know i still haven't done Terezin Part II - i'm trying to get myself geared up for it. In the meantime, i'm in London. Granted, not for long - I am getting the Eurostar to Paris this afternoon to begin the French section of my adventure. i'm really looking forward to hanging out with my Paris friends - i LOVE those guys! they're great.

well London's been a whirlwind. I haven't done any touristy stuff, I've just wandered around the streets and shops, spent time in cafes with a book, and had a frightening glimpse of the fact that somewhere just below the surface of me there lurks a person with rather a penchant for shopping in London. Gulp. Anyway I'm leaving today (can you hear my bank account sobbing with relief?).

Yesterday I was just wandering around Covent Garden market when i heard singing. of course, in Covent Garden market that is hardly unusual, but when i drew closer to the source of the singing, i found it to be a little bald man who looked quite a lot like Uncle Fester, dressed up like a VAMPIRE, in a red cloak and a big collar, a powdered white face, eyeliner and -i think - fangs. This was quite funny, but the best part was his repertoire! he was singing choicest excerpts from the Sound of Music and Mary Poppins! Haha as i was walking down the market he was just launching in to '...raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens...' - i literally started laughing like a crazy person in the middle of the market. Haha and he was singing the songs with all the dramatic flourishes you'd expect from a vampire - swirling his cloak and doing sort of Batman impressions... it was SO funny.

Last night Alex (my cousin i'm staying with here) and I went out to a great cocktail bar called the Langley. We met Simon Hosking there- Ken's nephew - who's working in an investment bank in London. We had a few happy hour priced cocktails and then moved on to a pub called Ye Olde Chester Cheese - apparently the oldest pub in London, or something. Had a drink there, then went to Wagamama for dinner, with Alex, her friend Amanda and 4 or so of her other friends. There were 8 of us all up, and we were a little bit rowdy! Then after dinner we went back to the pub before being kicked out at 11.30 and coming home to bed!

Right well I should probably go. Must pack. I still don't know what's going on with Geneva - Aedan and I are sposed to be flying from Paris - Geneva on Thursday, and we still don't know if we're going to be required. It's a little bit strange, and when I think about it a little bit stressful. Lucky i don't think about it very much...! if you want to read more about the whole UN shebang, you can on my other blog - http://funatthechr.blogspot.com

Right that's it i'm outta here. Hope this finds you well! Cheers

jx

No comments: